Monday, January 3, 2011

Let's begin at the beginning...

I never really thought about starting a blog until my wife said that she wanted to blog about our weight loss. Then she said that we should each have our own blogs about it. So... here we are.

We're just a few days into 2011, and both Jackie and I have decided that this year we will get healthy. We are both overweight. Right now I weigh more than I ever have in my life. I haven't always been this big. The summer after I graduated from high school in 2003, I began working out and eating better. Within a few months, I had lost 55 pounds and was in the best shape of my life. With the support of great friends and my family, I kept the weight off for several years. However, slowly the weight began to creep back. A pound here...two pounds there...another pound or two. It was always just a few pounds, and I always thought that I'd lose them again.

But I didn't lose them. And now I am a prisoner in my own body. Before when I was heavy, I never knew how miserable I was. It wasn't until I lost the weight that I realized how it literally and figuratively was weighing me down. And now I am miserable again. Going back through old pictures has really made me want to lose the weight again. I saw how good I looked then, and when I look in the mirror now, the person staring back at me isn't who I want to see.

So 2011 will be a year of transformation...well re-transformation. Today I literally took the first steps on that journey. I went for my first jog of the year. It was not pretty. I jogged in the subdivision behind our apartment complex. It was cold, and my body was screaming at me to to stop. It has been a long time since I tried to jog outside. Before when I lost weight, I did it with an elliptical machine; however, the two in the gym at our apartment complex are busted. So I jogged as much as a could, but ended up walking for a good bit of it. I'll try it again tomorrow, and hopefully I'll make it a little further.

I hope that this blog will help me be accountable. And it's not only going to be about weight loss. I hope to post some fun stuff on here, too. So here's to beginning of the end of the old Bruce!!

No comments:

Post a Comment